Updates / Postings

New Postings and updates happen as the Muse inspires me. Check in every few weeks to catch the buzz.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

How We Make Them Feel

We often say that a long time from now people will not remember what you said, they will not remember what you did, but they will remember how you made them feel. To that end here are three people from my past and what I remember about how they made me feel. What is funny is that the individual’s that hurt me, stand out the most, but that is not the direction I want to go with this entry. David Propert my magic mentor from my childhood comes to mind first. As a child with a keen interest in the art of magic, David paid attention to me. Coaching me on technique and presentation this man made me feel capable. David set an expectation of performance and made me certain that I would succeed. This laid the foundation for a lifetime Marilyn Westrom was one of my first Dale Carnegie Training advisors When I was new to the business I was anxious to find a niche. Marilyn quickly put me in front of a classroom as a coach, demonstrating the talks for assignments. She did this before I even finished taking the course myself. Marilyn made me feel like a contributor, a valued part of the team. Jeff Glazer used to run a business called GPA (Graphics Printing and Advertising) in my entrepreneurial days we worked exclusively with him for our printing services. At the time he was clearly not the most cost effective choice. The reason we worked together was that we became friends. There were times I would stop in his shop just to chat. Jeff gave me a feeling of belonging and importance and that was what kept me loyal. All of these relationships are 20 years or so in the past, but I surely do remember how they made me feel. We all need to keep in mind that we are having an effect on people around us, making them feel something. Let’s borrow from the Pike Place Fish Philosophy and do our best to “make their day” with everyone we come in contact with this week, and every week.

No comments: